A finished Dino•Doar


After fixing the arms for a third time, and changing the iris design a couple times, here is my son’s Dino•Doar.

I have some in progress images showing the parts unassembled. The fun thing about this one is I really started to modify and add my own pieces for the pattern.

For this puppet I used the Project Puppet Glorified Sock Pattern, but I never knew how people got their versions of this to look so padded. So I used the Roly foam head design elongated to match the long pointy mouth.  I also made my own pattern pieces for the tail and spine. To get the spine down the back and cut down on seams, I took the body pattern parts and reassembled them to cut on the fold and leave a seam down the back. I could then pin the spikes to the head and back seam to sew them in with the tail.

The other difference and inspiration besides my son’s love of dinosaurs was to cut the pieces from the bubble fleece. Special Note bubble fleece isn’t as stretchy as normal fleece, and it was a lot tougher to sew through at times.

I also tried sewing felt mouth into the puppet body  prior to placing the head and mouth in the body, and the gluing stuck to other places in the head. The mouth has a retile wrinkle which works here, but I think I like the technique from Tom Stewart’s video on puppet building. He recommends glueing the mouth felt in last. Other items to note, I shortened the arms to look more like that of a dinosaur.


My B.P.F. (Birthday Puppet Friend)


I’ve had a great time making puppets recently. With another birthday party, it was time to make another puppet. Again based on the Project Puppet Roly Puppet Pattern I’ve designed a puppet that looks like the birthday girl.

  • Pink fleece to match skin tone and is one of the birthday girl’s favorite colors
  • Natural looking yarn with a curl/kink to it.
  • Practice balls painted for eyes.
  • Felt in colors to match the birthday girl’s eyes.
  • Purple crushed velvet shirt/dress to include the birthday girl’s other favorite color.
  • With help from the whole family we have my B.P.F.


    Lavender Build



    Dino•Doar


    While making puppets with my daughter, I thought why not make puppets for all the kids. Under this motivation I started thinking about the things my sons like. For one of them the choice is easy, dinosaurs. To add to the “cute” factor we’ll use his nomenclature for the name, and being very young and not yet mastered language dinosaur comes out Dino Door. For the look, we also have plenty of bubble fleece which could make a nice dinosaur skin.

    Starting with green and using the pattern I’ve been using he started like the image above. However my son’s favorite color is red and we have plenty of red bubble fleece. In addition I wanted to try something different, and use the Glorified Sock Puppet Pattern, but give it the support of the foam head like the other simple series patterns. The finished inspiration should be more like this:


    Lavender Design


    I am enjoying my sabbatical, and my wife suggested that I spend some time doing something I wanted to do for a while, build some puppets. We had a birthday coming up, and we had plenty of left over fleece from her blanket making from her crafting Mommyhood Notions, and I had time. So my daughter and I went to work starting on a puppet for her before diving into a super hero puppet.

    Since this was for my Daughter we would go with some of her favorite colors, and build a fairy puppet. This is the design we started with:

    After finding some great yarn and looking up some tutorials on yarn hair, we elected to go with pig tails and were going for this following design:

    Next post the build…


    Mighty Max


    I’ve found a little time on my hands, and I’ve finally gotten the chance to do some puppet making. Starting with Project Puppet’s Simple Roly Puppet Pattern I make Mighty Max!

    [